Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Drama drama.....fo yo MAMA!

I don't know where to begin! Between the incidents yesterday & today, I think I'm about ready to pull my hair out! I do have to chuckle at yesterday's incident, however much it may have hurt one student's feelings though. He told me someone special in his life had died & that another kid in the class was mocking him & calling him a "crybaby." I approached the bully student & began lecturing him for teasing another student about such a loss, when he himself had lost his father last year. When I called "the victim" over, however, I was remiss to discover that it was his crab (& not his "gramps") who had died. While I still made the bully apologize, I felt ridiculous for how I handled the situation in that moment.

Today at recess was also quite comical, though it involved several people crying & getting emotionally involved more than I thought was possible for 4th graders.
Apparently one student taunted another student that he was going to be the "new boyfriend" of this little girl, to another girl who is a friend to both of them. When that student taunted him, the "boyfriend" lost his temper & pushed this guy into a fence, & started chasing at him, yelling at him about how that was his girl. When I spoke to him in class, I set him straight & told him he can't even have a real girlfriend at this age, to which he replied, "Well, I've taken her to McDonald's." (Wow! Classy date right there.) I reassured him that the time would come when he could drive & take girls out & date them, but that 4th grade wasn't that time, & certainly not ideal for getting all wound up over either.

No comments:

Post a Comment