Thursday, September 6, 2012

Highlights of a School Day

Today had a lot of funny aspects to it; I have to mention just a few. I started one student on a behavior contract; he is quite the class clown (or so he thinks), & he is rarely on-task, normally out of his seat & bothering other classmates. He really made me chuckle during the counselor's visit to the class today though, because when she was mentioning tolerance & brought up race (specifically the term) "Latino," this clown student (who is Mexican), proceeded to ask what a Latino was......as if it were some foreign species.
During that same conversation, another student mentioned holding another student in a "headlock" as the primary bullying threat at our school .........which I was unaware of, apparently.
Several students got confused on their spelling homework, & when they inserted the word student instead of season the context made me laugh; "Autumn is my favorite student." That was just purely ironic, when in fact  that student has caused me some grief this year already (mentioned in prior entries with ADHD) and may appear to be my favorite student since she is requiring a lot of my time, when in fact I am just gritting my teeth and trying to maintain patience with her. It's funny how students interpret things sometimes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment