Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Will I ever get this right?

Well, today was a pretty crazy one! All but one student were present, & I now have 28 students, total. In other words, it's a party house. haha. Anyway, the morning was a little rough seeing as I didn't thoroughly plan out my math lesson enough last night; but it was my birthday......can't someone get a little break on their bday? My facilitators don't seem to think so; needless to say, they were pretty disappointed with today's math lesson (which was mostly review anyway.)
When I went to get the kids from afternoon recess, one of my boys sneezed on the boy in front of him & that young man turned around & punched the boy who'd sneezed right in the eye. Of course, the boy who got punched retaliated, & I had to march them both to the office, meanwhile lecturing them on the fact that violence is never the answer.
One of my facilitators, Pat, left me some more notes in our "communication journal" if you will; the kids have really been taking advantage of the bathroom & drinking policy. I'm not typically a mean-spirited person, but it does get rather annoying when you allow them to drink water & go to the bathroom after recess, & then when you're sitting on the carpet to read 30 minutes later, suddenly everyone needs to go & it's an emergency. It can be a real distraction when that many people insist on going during class; Pat & I are going to address this with a new "system" tomorrow. I'll keep everyone updated on how that goes!
At the end of the day today I was talking to my CFA Joanne (don't ask me what CFA stands for, I honestly couldn't tell you!) & just saying I feel like the biggest key to my success this year will be learning patience with myself. I'm pretty patient with the kids in general, I feel. ....& even that will come more with time, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment